Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 19: May 9th, 2014

Today was my last day teaching at the elementary school with Emily and Jennay! We had six periods today; a full schedule! With the 3rd and 4th grade students we had them make Mother's Day cards in English. They had a lot of fun with this project. We gave them construction paper to make flowers and an already cut out flower pot to paste on the front of their card. We had a 2nd grade class we taught " Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" to for the last time. During the first break, we went outside and played soccer with the students. This 4th grade class had been asking all week if we could play soccer with them, so we did. I was sad because I didn't get to play with Lea as well because they are not allowed to mix with other classes.

I forgot to mention but during the first period we had a little girl at the end of class asked one of us to draw a picture of the statue of liberty. I volunteered to do it because I knew I could draw her. So, I spent the next couple periods drawing and coloring the Statue of Liberty. Near the end of the day I went to her classroom and gave her the picture. She was so happy. Her joy of receiving that picture made my day. Those are the moments that make teaching worth it! I knew in that moment I had made a lasting impact on that child just by giving her that picture.

After the last period we said our goodbyes and thanked the teachers for letting us teach at the school. Emily's host mom was there to pick us up because we had to rush off to the train station in Hamm to catch a 2 o'clock train to Koln. We meet Bea and Franzi at the train station. They got a ride from my host mom. The five of us were going to Koln for the afternoon/evening. When we got to Koln we meet a nephew of Emily's host mom and his friend. They were nice enough to show us around the city. They took us to the cathedral and we walked around the historic part of the city. We got to climb up one of the cathedrals towers to the very top. It was an amazing view. From above we were able to see most of the city. On the way down I counted all the steps. There were suppose to be 509 steps. I counted 510, so I felt very proud of myself for almost counting the exact number of steps! I learned much about some of the history and traditions of Koln.

No comments:

Post a Comment